OUSL Counselling Unit
Someone to listen…..
The hustle and bustle of daily life can become a little too overwhelming at times. This could be due to many reasons such as relationship issues, study or work stress, and concerns of children or finances. We all face such challenges and have our own ways of handling them.
There can be times when we lack resources or skills to meet those challenges. In such instances, a professional service like counselling can come in handy to help us deal with those difficult circumstances effectively
The OUSL Counselling Unit aims to offer confidential and professional help to all enrolled students and staff members of the university. We recognize the need to promote mental health and wellbeing of our students and staff. The OUSL Counselling Unit is administered by the Dept. of Psychology & Counselling.
How we can help…
The Counselling Unit is committed to meet the needs of all students and staff members and we strive to create an environment where you can feel at home.
This Unit can help address issues related to personal, psychological, interpersonal and crisis situations in life that might affect any student or staff member of the OUSL.
The counselling service is FREE and CONFIDENTIAL.
Our Counselling Team comprises of two professional counsellors. The Counselling Unit will provide the following services:
|Work with the counsellor on an individual basis to address personal or emotional problems which might impact your academic, professional or daily life.|
Groups can provide an opportunity to explore oneself through the views of others, provide platform to relate to others; benefit from their experiences and support while offering them your own.
These workshops aim to promote mental health and skills training. They will be designed upon the requirements of the respective departments or the available student facilities.
Please contact counsellors to get further information about these workshops.
|As we contribute for quality education, we provide tailor-made skills training and staff developmentprogrammes in counselling and psychology for the academic and non-academic staff members.|
A Counsellor will be available at the OUSL Healthcare Centre, Nawala, on the following days
- Monday 12:00noon – 3:00 pm
- Tuesday 9:00am – 12:00 noon
- Wednesday 12:00noon – 3:00pm
- Thunday 12:00noon – 3:00pm
- Friday 9:00am – 12:00 noon
Drop-in at the Counselling Unit
Meet a Counsellor at one of the above consultation hours, on first-come, first-served basis and/or by appointment at the Counselling Unit.
The Open University of Sri Lanka
Make an appointment:
Telephone : 0112881 361 (ext: 361) - Please call during working hours of counsellors
Ms. Yashoda Rathnapala
Availability at the Unit: Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday
- MA in Counselling &Psychosocial Support (University of Colombo)
- PGD in counselling &Psychosocial Support (University of Colombo)
- BA is Social Sciences (The Open University of Sri Lanka)
Previous work experience
- School Counsellor at Leeds International School, Panadura
- School Counsellor at VisakhaVidyalaya, Colombo 5
- Private Practitioner at Royal Hospital, Colombo 6
- Psychological Counsellor at Family Clinic, Ragama
- Visiting Lecture at ACHE, Dehiwala
- MA Internship at Mel Medura, Colombo7
- PG Internship at National Institute of Mental Health Angoda
Ms. Tehani Gunawardena
Availability at the Unit: Monday and Thursday
- MPhil in Clinical Psychology (University of Colombo)
- MSc in Applied Psychology (University of Coventry)
- BA in Psychology (Hons) (University of Peradeniya)
Previous work experience
- Clinical Psychology Trainee at Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children
- Clinical Psychology Trainee at Colombo South Teaching Hospital
- Clinical Psychology Trainee at Colombo North Teaching Hospital
- Volunteer Counselor at Wattegama MOH Maternity Clinics
- Vising Lecturer at ICBT/Sri Lankan Foundation Institute/Colombo School of Business and Management
- Secondary School teacher in Psychology-Gateway International School
- Peer Educator and Counsellor-Reproductive Health- Suwapiyasa,Kandy