(Effective from Academic Year 2014/15)
University Bursary is awarded by the Open University of Sri Lanka to the value of 50% of the tuition fees of courses for which the student registers for during a particular academic year. A student may be awarded a University Bursary in two academic years, at different Levels of the programme. However, a student who has been awarded a Mahapola Scholarship can be considered for a University Bursary only in another year. That is, a student shall not hold both the awards simultaneously. Students shall be selected based on an application made by them on the basis of Merit and Need.
Eligibility Criteria for Award of Bursary
- Student should be registered for a programme of study of a minimum duration of two years. However, those registered in programmes leading to one from to another in a different level (e.g. Certificate, Advanced Certificate to Diploma/Degree) may also be considered for selection
- Student should have sat and attained a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 in the final examinations of courses adding up to a total of at least 18 credits at the particular Level in the previous year.
- No disciplinary action should have been taken against the student.
- Only courses considered for the final award of the programme will be taken for the calculation of GPA for the Bursary.
- The gross family income of the student shall be less than Rs 480,000/= [Student shall submit a sworn statement that his/her family income is less than Rs. 480,000/=]
The university from time to time may make necessary amendments to the criteria while abiding by the guidelines proposed in this document.
University Bursaries will be awarded annually.