The Faculty of Education offers a wide range of programmes from Certificate to Post Graduate levels in line with its vision to be a leader of the advancement of knowledge and professional practice in education as a fundamental endeavor through Open and Distance Learning in Sri Lanka and in the Region. It is one of the largest providers of initial and continuous professional development programmes for teachers in the fields of pre-school, primary and secondary and special needs education through the distance mode in Sri Lanka. The student enrollment in the programmes offered by the Faculty is around 4000 in each academic year and the pass rate is above 80%.
Research is an integral component of the activities within the Faculty and the staff members are actively involved in a number of research projects.
The vision of the Faculty of Education is to be a leader of the advancement of knowledge and professional practice in education as a fundamental human endeavor through open and distance learning in Sri Lanka and in the region.
The mission of Faculty of Education is to:
- Achieve excellence in research and scholarship in the field of Education
- Prepare professionals for service and leadership roles in education and related areas
- Constructively inform educational policy makers and to critically appraise educational policy in Sri Lanka
- Contribute to curriculum development in general and teacher education in particular
- Support society to identify and respond to its educational responsibilities and challenges