You are welcome to the Department of Legal Studies (New Department Code - LL) of the Open University of Sri Lanka. Our Department conducts one first Degree Programme (LL.B) and one postgraduate Degree Programme (LL.M). LL.B Degree Programme is one of the most prestigious Law Degree Programmes offered by a National University in Sri Lanka.
To impart knowledge in law, legal values and ethics to student population in particular and the public in general in order to be the vanguards and protectors of legal rights of the humankind and of the motherland.
To create a knowledge-based society wherein the OUSL law graduates will be the engine and role-model to be emulated by others.
The broad aims and objectives of the LL.B Degree Programme
- To guide and assist students to acquire knowledge in core courses in law with the necessary academic orientation in ODL environment.
- To develop skills of intellectual reasoning, investigation and critical analysis.
- To create an understanding of the law in action and of the role of law in contemporary society.
- To cultivate the ability to analyze complex facts relating to modern issues and to apply law to contemporary realities.
- To help students to develop advocacy skills, presentation and writing skills etc.
- To develop skills in legal research and the ability to adopt a multi-disciplinary approach to law.