Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences offers the Degree of BA Hons (LIS) for the three year LIS Diploma holders.
Library and Information Science is a multidisciplinary subject area that embraces managing knowledge resources for effective access. It deals with acquiring information resources according to the scope of the library, organizing them using different methodologies and existing technology, analyzing the contents of the resources and embedding its meta data into bibliographic formats for easy retrieval, providing access to resources using robust technology- based platforms, establishing integrated access to information across persons, institutions and systems for establishing integrated access to information, and preserving the materials for future use. Therefore, well trained and competent professionals are required to run different types of libraries and to manage information systems for the purpose.
Objectives of the degree program are:
- to develop managerial and administrative competencies and skills that are necessary to establish, maintain and run libraries
- to provide technical knowledge and training on information systems, access systems, related software and emerging technologies
- to develop research skills for service development
- to upgrade their professional competencies to international standard
- to inculcate professional ethics and conduct in LIS field