An Advanced Certificate in Laboratory Technology Programme (ACLT) was inaugurated in October 1998. The minimum period required for this (two credit) programme offered at Level 3 is one academic year.
Aims and Objectives
- To expose the students to the basic infrastructure facilities available in science laboratories.
- To train them in the operation and maintenance of scientific apparatus and instruments.
- To enable them to develop skills of common laboratory techniques in Science and Technology.
- To impart knowledge on the laboratory organization, management, and safety.
- To prepare them as able personnel in the functioning of laboratories.
Permanent Technical Officers in the Universities of Sri Lanka
For other applicants
- A total of 3 credits comprising 1 ½ credits at each of the levels 1 & 2 from the Zoology foundation courses offered by the Open University of Sri Lanka from among the disciplines of Zoology, Botany, Biology, Physics & Chemistry.
- Passes at the G.C.E. (Advanced Level) Examination in three of the following subjects: Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Zoology, Biology, Applied Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics, Pure Mathematics, Combined Mathematics, Mathematics and Agriculture.
- Equivalent qualifications acceptable to the Senate.
Preference will be given to those with work experience in a laboratory.
| Course Code
||Laboratory Techniques in Chemistry
||Laboratory Organisation, Managment and Safety
||Laboratory Techniques in Physics
||Computer Studies *
||Laboratory Techniques in Biology or
||Workshop Theory and Practice
|* On the continuing education programme
Mediume of instructions
The medium of instruction will be in English.
Award of Certificate
A certificate will be awarded on successful completion of the course.
Department of Botany administer the course unit PSC2323 and jointly conduct the course unit PSC2321 with the Department of Zoology.
The fees per year would be as follows:
Registration Fees - Rs. 225.00
Facilities Fees - Rs. 180.00
Laboratory Deposit (Refundable) - Rs. 2500.00
Tution Fees - Rs. 28,620.00 (Rs, 795.00 per credit)
PSC2321 - Laboratory Techniques in Biology - Rs. 6000.00
PSC2322 - Laboatory Techniques in Chemistry - Rs. 6000.00
PSC2323 - Laboratory Management and Safety - Rs. 3000.00
PSC2325 - Laboratory Techniques in Physics - Rs. 6000.00
MEE2398 - Workshop Theory and Practice - Rs. 6000.00
PSC2321 / PSE4321 – Laboratory Techniques in Biology
Culture identification and museum techniques; microscopy and micro-techniques; microbiology; cultivation of microorganisms, safety and sterilization procedures in microbiology; identification of common bacteria and fungi
PSC2323 / PSE4323 – Laboratory Organization, Management and Safety
An introduction to laboratory design; organization and design of laboratory accommodation, store design, stock control and supplies; information handling and distribution: Laboratory records and administration; dangers of electrical equipments: common laboratory hazards, personal safety and safety sings., fire prevention, first aid and accident procedures; scientific reporting.