- To acquaint participants with the principles, technologies, scientific and commercial applications of plant tissue and cell culture.
- To familiarize the participants with techniques involved in plant tissue culture with special reference to plant propagation and crop improvement.
- To motivate the participants to pursue employment opportunities in the area of plant tissue culture (self employment or in industries) and to assist in career development of those already employed in plant tissue culture laboratories.
Similar to most Science courses conducted at the OUSL, this course basically comprises of two parts; Theory and Laboratory Sessions.
Theoretical knowledge is provided through course book, audio visual aids and guest lectures.
The practical skills are developed through several practical sessions carried out at tissue culture laboratories.
This knowledge and experience will be further strengthened by exposing the students to the real industrial environment through visits to commercial tissue culture laboratories. A Laboratory Manual with necessary information on tissue culture techniques will also be provided.
- Those who wish to be employed in the field of tissue culture laboratories and nurseries
- Those who are already employed in a laboratory and needs to update knowledge and skills for the applications of tissue culture in floriculture
- Those unemployed to get skills and knowledge in the field of tissue culture and build up the laboratories on their own